Saturday, May 10, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I am always interested in new affordable ways to make my family healthier and to stretch our dollar further.  Whether that include food recipes, cleaning products, TV shows, exercise routines, etc.  With all of the toxins in our world due to chemicals for cleaning, pesticides and preservatives in our food I've decided to try out homemade laundry detergent.  My sweet friend Vanessa gave me the recipe that she's been using for quite awhile for her family.  One of her kiddos has skin sensitivity and this laundry recipe has done wonders for her.  So, I decided to give it a try... I am very sensitive to smells and I LOVE my Tide, Oxi Clean, Downy, and Unstoppables.  Wow, just typing out the cleaners I use makes it even more real just how much my family's skin is exposed to unnecessary chemicals.  Thankfully my family doesn't have any serious skin issues.  I made the laundry detergent and gave it a whirl... it smelled great! I've probably done about a dozen loads from clothing to towels to sheets and everything smells great.  I do kinda miss the Downy softener smell so on occasion I think that I'll add that but it is definitely much nicer on my pocket book than the cost of a huge jug of liquid tide from Costco.
Here is Vanessa's recipe that she shared with me:
2 1/2 cups Borax
1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Fels-Naptha Bar (grated- use a cheese grater)
*All ingredients can be purchased at Winco
Mix everything together and store in a sealed container. Use 1/8 cup per load!
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy!

No comments:

GG's 90th Birthday Party

GG's 90th Birthday Party
May 2, 2008