Thursday, September 24, 2009

Labor & Delivery

Ellie Mae Herndon was born on September 8, 2009. She weighed 9 pounds 5 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.
Nick and I went to my last doctor appointment at 8:45 a.m. that morning. I was 2 cm dilated and I had been having random contractions for the last 4 days. Shortly after we left the doctor's office my contractions began to come a little less randomly. At 11:25 I realized that I should probably start to keep track of them. At that time they were about 10 minutes apart for about an hour and then they dropped to 8 then 5 then 4 then 2 and finally fluctuated between 1 and 2 minutes apart. I called Nick at 2 p.m. and told him to come home. We left for the hospital around 3:45 p.m. As we were driving away from our home I realized that I hadn't eaten lunch. There was no way that I was going to give birth on an empty stomach! I remembered how labor intensive it was when I had given birth to Madeleine and I also knew that the hospital wasn't going to let me have any food. So, we stopped at Sequoia and Nick ran in to grab me a half turkey sandwich. We also went through the Taco Bell drive-thru so that Nick would be fueled up to help support me through the labor and delivery. We arrived at the hospital at 4:17 p.m. and I was 8.5-9.0 cm dilated... that meant I wouldn't be able to have an epidural. I wasn't happy about that piece of news. But an hour and 7 minutes later we had little Ellie Mae at 5:24 p.m.


Ellie Mae with Mommy & Daddy.Ellie Mae and Mommy.
Auntie Jill, Ellie Mae, and Mommy.
Reilly & Maddy excitedly waiting just outside the labor and delivery room.
Reilly posing proudly by her new little sister.
Reilly, Maddy, and Daddy.
Ellie Mae receiving her first sponge bath from one of the nurses.

6 comments:

texdahls said...

she's beautiful! congrats. i love her name. it's very close to the girl name we have picked out for the chance that we may be blessed one day with a little girl. Olivia Mae, but we would call her Ollie Mae for short. ouch! on the no epidural but at least it went quick...couldnt imagaine and hope i never do.
~xoxo~ carly

Unknown said...

Oh how precious, I can't wait to meet her this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Glad she's home and you guys are doing well! Congrats again!

HAPPYHANERHOME said...

She's gorgeous!! And it all happened on a full tummy! Love it! Sorry about the no epidural, but it makes for a short and (not so) sweet delivery, right? Love you guys!!

Unknown said...

Um ... new post please =) XOXO

Janelle said...

LOL Angela! It's November, 20th and I haven't been on ANY blogs since September. I am just unable to find the time... I hope to blog again soon... I would also love to get together and hang out one of these days.

GG's 90th Birthday Party

GG's 90th Birthday Party
May 2, 2008